Spinach Spelt Tortillas
120 Calories, 1 g Fat, 4.4 g Protein
- 2 C Spelt Flour (or Whole Wheat)
- 4-5 C Packed, chopped spinach
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Cook spinach in water. (Should take about 5 min)
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients
- Add the spinach mixture. Stir until dough is smooth (May need to add more water or flour, you be the judge!). Knead dough for 5 min.
- Divide dough into 8-10 parts, depending on how big you want tortilla to be.
- Roll out tortillas on lightly floured surface
- Cook in a large pan for about 1 minute on each side. To keep the tortillas soft and bendable: Stack each finished tortilla on top of another, inside a damp towel.
Note: Your tortillas should come out greener than mine. I unfortunately only had enough spinach for 3 cups.
Why should you make your own tortillas?
To avoid the mysterious long list of ingredients usually found on tortilla packages.
To avoid genetically modified ingredients such as Canola Oil and Soy.
Because homemade tortillasare healthier, contain less sodium and fat, and taste better (unlike the plastic store-bought kind)!