The Environmental Impact of Meat
- It takes about 60 pounds of water to produce a pound of potatoes, 108 for a pound of wheat, 168 for a pound of corn, 229 for a pound of rice, and 12,000 gallons for a pound of meat.
- The meat and livestock industry is responsible for 37% of methane and 65% of nitrous oxide emissions in the world.
- In the United States, 80% of aquatic habitats in streams have been harmed and negatively impacted by the grazing of livestock.
- In New Zealand, livestock is responsible for approximately half of their greenhouse emissions.
- Protein production through the consumption of livestock requires 8 times as many fossil fuels to be produced than protein derived from plants.
- A poultry farm uses more ammonia than steel mills and oil refineries combined.