When I first transitioned to a vegan diet, I remember thinking about all of my favorite foods and wondering if I'd ever eat them again. Crepes included. But then I did some research, and found out about vegan substitutes.
Bananas instead of eggs? Really?
This recipe is proof that there's always a way to make your favorite dish healthier, and still love it just as much (if not more!).
Gluten-Free, Vegan Crepes
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- optional: 1/4 tsp sea salt
- optional: 8-10 drops stevia
- Using a fork, mash the ripe banana.
- In one bowl, mix wet ingredients together (banana included) and in a separate bowl, the dry ingredients.
- Combine the two. Batter should be the consistency of thin pancake batter. Add more liquid, as needed.
- Cook: Heat an 8-inch skillet or crêpe pan over medium high heat. Add a little coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pan, and pour 1/4 cup batter into the middle. Swirl until the bottom of the pan is covered with batter. Cook the crepe for about 1 minute--bubbles will form and it will be slightly moist on top. Use a spatula to loosen the edges of the crêpe, slide the spatula under and gently flip it upside down. Cook for one more minute, just until golden and transfer crêpe to a plate. Repeat until the batter's all gone.
- Fill: My favorite filling is vegan, dark chocolate chips. I put them on the crepe when it's just off the pan, so that they melt into a kind of chocolate sauce. Other ideas include fruit, homemade jam, cashew cheeze.